Monday, August 19, 2013

Decorating with Fondant - First NLP Post

When I was a young mom I was very creative.  I used to make Halloween costumes (with the sewing machine!) and bake and decorate those cakes with the frosting tubes.. you know, the method that gives you arthritis?
barbie-cakeelmo
See all those little flower shaped dots?  Do you know how many times you have to squeeze that tube to cover a cake?  Too many!!!
I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the way I lost my domestic mojo.  I was bringing home the bacon, frying it up in a pan... and my domestic goddess went comatose.
I have been buying very beautiful sheet cakes or artisan cakes for years now. My kids are nearly grown...they are 22, 18 and 12.   But my son is turning 13 in August and I want to bake a cake and decorate it with fondant - a la the Cake Boss.  We have been watching Buddy for years now, along with Ace of Cakes, and the Ultimate Cake Off.  Garth (my son) likes to cook and bake with me.  We think decorating with fondant might be a little bit like playing with playdough...but will taste better. (Come on you've all tasted the playdough at some point.)
So my personal challenge is to decorate a cake with fondant!  It looks easy right?  No.  I've watched even Buddy screw up the fondant.
My first step was to look into whether I should make my own fondant or go with store bought. And guess what I found out!!??  The secret ingredient in their Homemade Marshmallow fondant??? STORE BOUGHT Wilton's Fondant added to their marshmallow and confectioner sugar mix.  :/
So  for this learning experience I think, since my goal is to DECORATE with fondant I will buy some first.  Give it a try.  THEN...MAYBE...if my domestic goddess returns to life, I will venture into the realm of fondant making.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment